Monday, June 2, 2014

Time Flies When You're Having Fun

Beautiful Falls Park in
downtown Greensville, SC

Passing Time

Your skin like dawn
Mine like musk.

One paints the beginning
of a certain end.

The other, the end of a
sure beginning.

—Maya Angelou, RIP


May came and went in a flash. Here's a quick recap:

I spent the first few days of May finishing up USA Crits Speed Week, a series of 5 races in Georgia and South Carolina. Overall, I finished 20th out of 68 riders and while it's not a result to brag about, I made the long drive home feeling confident that I had gained some very valuable race experience. Between races I made Greenville, SC my base. Greenville is one of the most cyclist-friendly cities I've visited and a refreshing change from the A1A, with the Swamp Rabbit Trail system, several scenic climbs and miles of rolling country roads.

One of many perfect training roads
just outside of Greenville
The rewarding view from the top of Caesars Head climb
USA Crits Speed Week
Next, I was home to train and race locally for 2 weeks. It's always great to be home, see friends on the road and train my clients. I earned a spot on top of the podium at a local road race, which happened to be in my hometown of Stuart, FL. The course was 5 laps on an 8 mile loop with all right turns. Being it's Florida its a given the course was flat, however the wind was intense! I initiated a break going into the 2nd lap that eventually dwindled down to myself and 2 other riders. On the last lap I attacked and stayed away solo. Although local races in Florida don't even compare to the levels of fitness or skills required to be competitive in Pro races elsewhere, the commitment to the move and win helped boost my confidence just a little more.

Winner, winner of a local race in Stuart, FL
Soon I was heading up to Foglesville, PA to train with teammate, Erica, before an NCC race in Somerville, NJ. Erica is currently leading the women's NCC rider standings and was the 2013 overall leader in both the NCC and USA Crit Series. As you can imagine, she makes a fantastic training partner and I thoroughly enjoyed both almost vomiting 6 times sprinting up a hill in her dust as well as our 4 hour endurance ride through the rolling farmlands (where we encountered just 1 traffic light and an Amish horse and buggy).  On the morning of Memorial Day we made the 90 minute drive to Somerville, NJ to race the Tour of Somerville, (a.k.a. Colavita World Championships). Since Colavita was a sponsor of the race in addition to John Profaci, VP of Marketing for Colavita spectating the event, this was an important race for the team. I knew I needed to be up front and present during as much of the race as possible. This was my opportunity to prove that I am capable of working for the team, and I did just that. Erica took the WIN, and we had 2 other top 10 finishes. I finished somewhere around 34th (yes, I was too far back at the end and got caught behind a crash in the second to last turn), but was happy I did my job. I had just enough time to watch the women's podium presentation before I was en route to Newark airport and on my way back to Florida.

Erica with Mildred Kugler, 1942 National Champion
Just this past weekend was the Florida State Road Race Championship. It's the exact same race Saturday and Sunday, with mainly the same competition, however Saturday you're racing against your age group and Sunday you're USA Cycling race category. I didn't come home with a jersey this year, as I finished 3rd in the 30-39 age group and 2nd in the cat 1/2 race (a very close 2nd!).

A very close sprint for 2nd place.
 So now it's June, hot and humid South Florida June. I was traveling so much the last 2 months I was deprived of any possibility of easing into the South Florida summer. My performance at the race in Somerville was good enough to earn a spot on the roster for North Star Grand Prix (formerly called Nature Valley stage race) on June 11th through 15th which includes an Eddie Merckx-style time trial, 3 criterium races and 2 road races (one of which is 95 miles). As always, I'm looking forward to the next adventure and ready for the challenge!



1 comment:

  1. My birthday is June 15th. I want your team to win for my present. Of course I'd like the prize money as well. I think the girls will be Ok with that.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!